Thursday, February 23, 2006

Proverbs 23

I read the book of Proverbs often. There are some very good bits of wisdom there and it is relevant to things of today. What is interesting about this book are the 31 chapters, which to me means a chapter a day and you get through the whole thing in a month.

Proverbs 23 contains part of The 30 Precepts of the Sages and what got me was #18. This precept primarily talks about wine and drunkenness. If you really read between the lines, it talks about not judging things by their covers, even first impressions, but first get to know it intimately and how it will treat you later. Then you can decide if it is the type of thing you should have in your life. This can also apply to people.

I will be honest and say, not everyone gets along and God knows that, and He does put hard people into our lives to see how we handle them. I heard a pastor called them "holy sandpaper people". Even 10 grit sandpaper doesn't compare to some people I have experienced in my life. I guess you can call them "holy grinder people". They are so course, any rough edges on your life, soul and attitudes will be removed, but as grinders can do, they also damage the good things. So what are we to do? Love them as best as we can and pray for them.

Does that mean I am to remain in contact with them? Well, that is a hard one to answer. If the Lord really wants you to help them, then do your best. Pull away as needed to get a breather and ask others to pray with you about this person, and even yourself. Patience, peace and godly courage are needed to help these hurting souls. I have seen very bitter and crass men turn into loving, strong men, and the same has happened to women too. But remember, we are all unique (as I stated in a previous post) and not everyone's tastes are the same.

I will also reiterate my previous statement, I AM NOT PERFECT! I have left people behind because I didn't have the skills or the temperament to deal with them. Plus, my patience wasn't like it is now. I used to hate really difficult people, now I know better how to deal with them. Most of the time, it depends on the person. Some people, I have to say, seem intent on making like horrid for everyone else.

So, will I be judged by my exterior looks and up front demeanor? Or will someone take the time to know me personally and then decide? Can they accept I am trying to be real and let people know I am imperfect? And if a fellow believer comes and looks that this and says, "I am not like this", then maybe they shouldn't read this blog anymore, re-examine themselves, and really see if they are a "real follower of Christ" or not. Denial is a sin too! Open your hearts to the healing light of the Lord and He will pluck out the darkness that hides there, like zits on a face! But He will only do that if you open up to Him. That step is yours to make.

-My Father in Heaven, this post will upset people and turn others away, but I hope it plants a seed in their hearts that can open doors to Your healing light. I pray for the people who struggle daily with those that are hard to love and I hope Your awesome compassion for these hurt souls fills those who deal with them.
-Lord, I know I am not perfect and I have had many failures and not much success. What I hope for is Your constant love, encouragement and joy to fill my soul and spirit to face the difficult people You allow into my life. Thank You Lord for giving the chance to build patience, a giving heart, and a life with You lighting my way. In Your Son's name I pray, Amen.

No comments: