Saturday, April 07, 2007

I HAVE HEARD THE FUTURE....

...and it SOUNDS AWESOME!
I am a Christian...a Follower of Christ. I believe the Lord Jesus, died for my sins upon a cross, so that whomever believe in Him, shall have eternal life. I also believe He is the only way to God. For He said, "None may come before the Father, except through Me." Christians didn't create this statement, He said it.

Now, just because I am a Christ Follower, doesn't mean I'm a dull person. By all means, I enjoy life like anyone else. One of my passions is music and the equipment that reproduces that music. I own a decent stereo in my truck, and there's even a good one in my company vehicle. I have two MP3 players (an iPod Nano and a Creative Zen Nano), my PC has a top of the line sound card, and I have a 6 channel speaker system plugged into it. The DVD player (set top unit) I own can play about any movie file and DVD Audio. Because I live in an apartment, I can't pull out my "real" stereo, which cranks out about 250W of RMS power.

SO, what is my point? I got a sample DVD Audio CD and I was curious as to how it sounded. I was going to play it on my DVD set top player, but I didn't have the big stereo plugged up, so I couldn't test this...then I realized something...my PC has all that is needed to listen to this. So I tossed that disc in...

I was not prepared to what I heard! This rich, full bodied music filled my tiny apartment.
It was so:
Crisp...
Life like...
Deep...
Dimensional...
and REAL!
I mean, it was music that had a flavor and it embodied the essence of what music was...to be enjoyed! I enjoyed this...immensely! The audio was COMPLETELY separate in EACH speaker. Each how its own sound, nothing unified like previous audio systems. And the clarity of the music, 96 KHz, 24 bit, with 6 channels- which I thought I couldn't detect, but I did notice. To put it into perspective, CD Audio is 44 KHz, 16 bit, with 2 channels- that is like less than half the amount of recorded data just in sound. Do I believe that tapes and records sound better than CDs? Yes. Even tapes have a richer sound than CDs and I know about records, the music is much more richer.

Granted, this was a sample disc and it had multiple kinds of music on it, which what was so amazing about it as it fully tested my PC's sound card! Playing blues, to rock, to an acoustic session with a piano, a choir and some classical music...DVD Audio is sweet and I give it six thumbs up!

No comments: